CIS Construction Industry Scheme
The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) sets out the rules on how Contractors must deal with the Sub-contractors they engage and how to make payments to sub-contractors in the construction industry.
If you work in the Construction Industry your pay and tax must be dealt with under the CIS Scheme.
As a Contractor, Shires can help meet your obligations by:
- Registering you as a CIS contractor with HMRC
- Verifying your subcontractors with HMRC
- Ensuring correct payments to subcontractors
- Submit monthly returns to the HMRC
- Issue CIS vouchers to subcontractors
- Apply 30% tax rate to unverified sub-contractors
- Completion and submission of the monthly CIS300
- Keep all your records in good order
- Setting up and operate a PAYE scheme
It is also the contractors responsibility to clearly determine whether or not your sub-contractors are to be treated as employed or self-employed for each and every contract placement.
As a Subcontractor, Shires can help you meet your obligations by:
- Establish your status as a subcontractor
- Register you with HMRC as a sub-contractor in the CIS scheme
- Verify you with HMRC on behalf of your contractor
- Advise and assist on managing and organise your business records
- Advise on minimising your tax liability
- Prepare and submit your self-assessment tax return
- Calculate your tax liability or refund if applicable
CIS workers can often find they are due tax refunds brought about by overpayment of tax once their work related expenses have been calculated and applied.
Shires has vast experience with CIS and can ensure total compliance for Contractors and Subcontractors. So whether you are the contractor or the sub-contractor, Shires can help you keep your CIS affairs in order. Please contact us on 01270 821480 for a free no obligation chat or complete the form below and we will get back to you.
For Contractors who operate outside of the construction industry please refer to our Contractors section or our sister company Sub-Contractors Compliance Services (SCS) which provides compliance services for contractors and subcontractors business sectors.